Well, the first snow of the year is finally falling. I don't know if it will be enough to get us out of school, but I'm excited anyway (as long as I'm inside). The older I get the more I subscribe to my mom's philosophy of only liking it to be this cold if I'm in the mountains with skis strapped to my feet. I wish we were taking a Spring Break ski trip this year, but we're trying to save money for our (hopefully this year) trip to Haiti to pick up the sweet kiddos. I'll trade skiing for that anytime. When I was still in the classroom, I really wasn't too fond of snow days because it threw off my lesson plans (my former students can attest to this), but now that I'm on extended contract, I'm not sure if I have to make up the days, so let it snow!
On a totally different topic, we got to Skype with my sister in South Africa for about an hour today. She's spending the next few weeks in Capetown where she will be working at a camp for high school kids. That's right up her alley, so she's excited. She's also staying in a place with hot showers, so she's doubly excited. It was great to get to visit with her for awhile.
Today is usually one of the days when we get to Skype with Jasmine and Sammy, but for whatever reason we didn't get to today. The people who run the orphanage have been out of town for a few weeks, so I'm sure they're just trying to get everything settled. Hopefully two weeks from now we'll get to talk with our precious children. Cade told me this morning when I told him that we might get to see Sammy on the computer today that Sammy is his brother and he's going to share his toys with him. We've been trying to prepare him as much as you can a two-year-old, but it was great to hear him say that at the simple mention of Sammy's name. I'm not sure that Cade fully comprehends the extent to which he will have to share everything with Sammy, but at least he's aware. I do wonder (not worry, really) about what the transition is going to be like for Cade. He's the only child and the only grandchild on both sides, so he's not really used to sharing his stuff or his people. However, he's a social child and plays well with others, so I don't think it will take him long to figure it out (probably faster than I will figure out how to be a mom to two children instead of one). I know that Sammy will be different from Cade and have his own set of issues, so that is one of my continual prayers- wisdom in parenting both of them well. More than anything I want them to grow to be men after God's own heart. That's going to mean that Jason and I have to be close to God's heart- and that is where we are continually seeking to be!
Well, it's coming down hard now. Welcome, Old Man Winter! Let it snow!
No comments:
Post a Comment